Saturday, November 4, 2023

The Coast of Africa - most Engaging!


An Amble down the coast of Kenya and Tanzania



The motorcycle made the usual clicking and pinging noises as it cooled down parked just behind me. Hours of riding in the heat is a bit hard on the bike but judging by the view, I thought it was well worth it. My riding gear hastily discarded was in a heap somewhere behind me and it was a slice of heaven gazing on this view and feeling that warm tropical breeze blowing through my hair - or what I have left of it. I sat and contemplated life for a bit thinking that with 61 years on the planet, I have to say it's going pretty well.

Having been in this country for about 8 years I can now do proper adventuring knowing where to go and not go ... or so I thought.




The pavement, dirt and gravel roads rolled by predictably as I traveled East to the Indian Ocean. I then turned the Yellow Bimmer south and crossed the Lunga Lunga borer into  beautiful Tanzania. A 3 hour interlude at the border passed quickly as I had expected it to take much longer. In all 7 "officials" reviewed my request and paperwork before I was finally given the ok. Naturally each "official" stalled hoping for a payout... but as I was on holiday and made it clear that I was in no rush,  they reluctantly moved it along. Even the parking lot security guard delayed me with the threat of the AK hanging casually from his shoulder. My Mama taught me to never argue with a 20 year old kid with an AK47 so 20 minutes was spent in that small battle of wills. I won - again. No pay today Baba! Thanks Mom! ( in truth she always said stand up to bullies but that advice didn't consider the possibility of machine guns so I'm ad-libbing a bit here)

Tanga Tanzania finally greeted me as I paused for a SIM card and fuel. The road ahead looked pretty straight forward and with a sleeping bag, tent and credit card, what trouble could I possible get into?

500 meters out of Tanga, the road went to mud. You see - it's the rainy season so most "African Roads" (dirt roads) become marginally passable. Intoxicated with the spirit of adventure and running high on the carefree nature of the trip so far, I went ahead anyway.

An hour in and at the point where the mud was over my boots, I pulled over and had a talk with myself. Dumb ass was the name I called myself. Checking my GPS naturally there was no signal so no idea where I was. I continued regardless coming across a couple young men lounging under an Acacia tree. Knowing English was unlikely I mangled a couple phrases together drawing on my crappy Swahili skills. I let then know I was going to Pagani. and asked how far it was? 3 hours was what I got back. "It's bad" I asked, meaning the road - "very" they replied.

3 hours in this mud, with an uncertain outcome? Hell that's nothing - onward!!!!


Tanga just before the Mud show.


I've said it before and say it here again. "Fortune favors the brave" and it was no exception on this day. Tired and muddy, I finally found the most beautiful campsite near my destination. There was no one else at the site, but was greeted warmly by the staff and quickly served cold beers (called Kilimanjaro - what else?) and grilled King Shrimp. My tent set up next to the ocean - I was again enjoying a slice of heaven.










Even more Engaging on the African Coast
 

 

 

 I spent a couple nights on the couch after telling Essie that I was taking my motorcycle to the coast for a week while she would be remaining in Nairobi. She had work of course, but still was absolutely pissed that she would be missing out. "Let's not talk about it" was her final remark on the subject.

On the morning of my departure, I woke her up and let her know our good friend Andy would look after Cleo and her tickets to the coast were on her email. It took a good 60 seconds before she "came to" with a "what???? "What about work she said?"  -  taken care of I said ... see you there 😀

 

 

My Side
Her Side

 

 Almost 4 years ago I had my first date with Essie and from that day on we've enjoyed a serious set of adventures and times grinning and laughing along the way. If asked, I would be hard pressed to tell you exactly why she's the one. It's a question that's hard to explain in words, but only felt. She makes me feel calm, peaceful and loved. There have been disagreements, cultural differences and the inevitable challenges life tosses into your path. Also we are different people as clearly evidenced by the above pictures of her side and my side in the bathroom. But she is the one I would like to share my life with.

 

 

 

  

 

  

 

 

I asked the hotel staff to photograph the event on the beach so that I could capture the moment. Also, I wanted to catch her off completely off guard so that she didn't have a chance to think it over. It was a perfect sabotage! She did not see this coming on this day. 😁😁

 

Seemingly immune to the dark forces of marketing and modern conventions she picks her life path on her own terms. Tougher than Titanium and with more integrity than Ghandi, I have fallen deeply in love with this amazing woman. I'm just so happy that she picked me and said Yes!!

 

 

The Majengo Kids at Malezi School

 

 

Our Supplier Joy and her kids helping out!

 

 

Many thanks to Joy and her kids for putting together our latest order for the school. We spent $450 Canadian Dollars on this order which will feed over 200 children for the next month or so. Many Thanks to Andy and my Mom for their recent very generous contribution, it is greatly appreciated. As info I am well into my own savings for the project and while not uncomfortable with that - if you can share $50 it would be really helpful!!

  

I leave Teacher Grace to do the heavy lifting while I take selfies!


Teacher Grace and the food in her office.



If you would like to donate to help hungry kids - you can email me to chat about it or do so through:

MPESA -- +254745237248 (Kenya)

Or interact -- Laynemahon@live.com (Canada)


 



 

 

 

  Thanks for reading ....Layno now off the market!!!


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new phase of happiness. I think maybe it’s time to put some of those Street legal hobbies on that bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $50 coming your way brother! Love what you’re doing for the kids over there and always enjoy the read of your blog. Huge congratulations to you and Essie. Give me plenty of notice for that wedding! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thrilled to read about another adventure and even more delighted about your upcoming nuptials to Essie! She’s a lucky woman ♥️ Congratulations Layno

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations Layne and Essie and every good wish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woow this is amazing and engaging read ‘ . "Fortune favors the brave" congratulations to you and beautiful Essie . May your life be as beautiful as your hearts are . ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete